Vidiots is looking for Part-Time and Seasonal Front of House Staff to join our team!
We’re a women founded 501(c)3 non-profit for and by film lovers, filmmakers, and everyone curious about cinema. In 2023, thirty-eight years after opening as an alternative video store in Santa Monica, Vidiots reopened at a new home, the historic Eagle Theatre in Northeast L.A. Our new home, a nearly-11,000 square-foot film exhibition, entertainment, and education space includes a 271-seat state-of-the-art cinema, Vidiots’ 60,000-title film and media library for rental, and a flexible, state-of-the-art micro-cinema and community space for screenings and a variety of community events and more.
Vidiots is looking for experienced, customer service-oriented, enthusiastic, film-loving and knowledgeable, committed, friendly individuals to join our team. Vidiots provides the most welcoming and respectful atmosphere in L.A. for all patrons and staff, and Front of House Staff are key to delivering that experience. Our Front of House Staff works in all areas of Vidiots’ new home at the Eagle Theatre, including our cinema, micro-cinema and community space, box office, and lobby gathering space with separate concessions stand and beer-and-wine bar, all adjacent to Vidiots’ legendary video store.
At Vidiots, we’re looking for Front of House Staff Members who fit our team’s values:
- A fierce commitment to building an equitable, inclusive, anti-racist, anti-misogynist film culture and hub, open and accessible to all
- A passion for preserving, showcasing, and celebrating film and media that represents the widest array of artists and points of view, from all backgrounds
- Appreciation for and commitment to preserving L.A.’s unique cultural landscape
- A get-’er-done attitude (we’re a small, hardworking staff and there’s a lot to get done!)
What you’ll do:
- Vidiots Front of House staff rotate time in our busy concessions stand, beer-and-wine bar, and box office and engage in all manner of customer service, including:
- Ticket sales and ticket-taking
- Concessions Stand service
- Beer-and-wine bar service
- Theater ingress and egress
- Regular cleaning and maintenance before, after, and between shows
- Customer assistance and trouble-shooting
- On-site donor relations
- Outside vendor relations
- Annual Membership sales and renewals
- Present a calm and kind demeanor that sets the tone for other staff and customers, and always strives to deter others from engaging in disruptive conduct, while encouraging a positive interaction with customers
- Answer customer questions (both in person and on the phone) courteously and accurately, or be able to quickly direct customers to an appropriate resource
- Maintain full knowledge of menu and drink items, and their costs
- Prepare food and beverages that are consistent and do not deviate from procedures and ingredients outlined in recipes
- Pour beer and wine to specific portions
- Verify the age of all guests who purchase alcohol in accordance with the law and company policy, limiting sales only to guests who are at least 21 years of age
- Maintain a clean, sanitary, and safe work environment
- Clean and maintain the exterior and interior areas of the theater including theaters, restrooms, lobbies, concessions areas, and box office areas, including completion of all deep-cleaning and assigned tasks prior to the end of shifts
What you’ll bring to the table
- Minimum five years experience in food and beverage-focused and/or theater operations customer service
- For Seasonal applicants, Vidiots is seeking coverage over the 2023 November and December holidays (seasonal applicants with interest will be considered for permanent positions on staff)
- All applicants must have Evening, Weekend, and Holiday availabilities, with consistent ability to be scheduled according to Vidiots’ needs (individuals without consistent availability should not apply)
- A positive, kind, calm attitude and great customer service
- Cash handling experience
- Ability to effectively multitask as needed, including but not limited to greeting guests, selling tickets, scanning tickets, theater load-in and out, and answering guest questions
- Comfort with and ability to work with ticketing systems and POS systems (e.g. Filmbot and Stripe)
- Detail oriented with excellent and effective communication skills
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to prioritize effectively
- Ability to effectively work with large and high profile events
- RBS certified in properly and safely serving alcohol on premise
- Food Handler certificate
- Minimum three professional recommendations with submission of application
Desired Characteristics and Qualities:
- Possess a willingness to be part of a team that is committed to diversity, inclusion, and fostering a feeling of belonging for all who walk through our doors
- Passionate about building community through social interaction around film and media
- Knowledge of film history, aesthetics, and contemporary film culture
- A willingness to wear multiple hats and work in a fun and fast-paced brick-and-mortar environment
- Comfortable working and setting priorities independently
- Capacity to balance short-term needs with longer term vision
- Fluent Spanish and/or Tagalog and/or ASL speaker a plus
- CPR certified a plus
- Strong work ethic, sense of humor, and commitment to the Vidiots mission
- Part time roles will vary from 15-20 hrs a week
- Only candidates with availability to work weekend shifts (Friday/Saturday/Sunday) and during upcoming 2023 Winter holidays will be considered
- Work on-site in Eagle Rock, Los Angeles
- $18/hr plus tips
- CalSavers retirement program
Work environment & Physical Demands:
This position works primarily in an indoor setting with exposure to noisy environments, dim lighting and strong visual effects.
The employee is occasionally required to stand, sit, and stoop. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee needs to be able to see in order to operate machinery and tools.
The employee will comply with company and OSHA standard workplace safety protocols. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please fill out this form and provide your resume or CV with minimum three professional references, and we’ll be in touch! Please note, we are a small team, it may take some time for us to reach out, and only applicants who fit all required qualifications will be contacted.
Vidiots Foundation is a one-of-a-kind hub for film lovers, filmmakers, and everyone curious about cinema. Ever since our Founders Patty Polinger and Cathy Tauber opened Vidiots in 1985 as an alternative video store, our team has been dedicated to inspiring human interaction around film through preserving, growing, and providing access to a diverse DVD, BluRay, and rare VHS collection, showcasing the work of emerging, master, and underrepresented artists, and producing unique and affordable film events and vital education programs.
Vidiots became a 501(c)3 non-profit organization in 2012. In 2017, in the wake of rising Santa Monica costs and a changing film landscape, the Vidiots Board of Directors elected to shutter our iconic storefront, store the collection, and begin the search for a new home where Vidiots could sustainably expand on its mission and operations. Vidiots reopened at the historic Eagle Theatre in Northeast L.A. in June 2023.