Vidiots Foundation is looking for House Managers to join our team!
We’re a women founded 501(c)3 non-profit for and by film lovers, filmmakers, and everyone curious about cinema. In 2023, thirty-eight years after opening as an alternative video store in Santa Monica, Vidiots is relaunching at a new home, the historic Eagle Theatre in Northeast L.A. Our new home, a nearly-11,000 square-foot film exhibition, entertainment, and education space, will include a 250-seat state-of-the-art cinema (35MM, 16MM and DCP projection), Vidiots’ 50,000-title film and media library for rental, and a flexible, state-of-the-art 35-seat micro-cinema and community space for screenings and a variety of community events, and more.
Vidiots is looking for experienced, customer service-oriented, enthusiastic, film-loving and knowledgeable, friendly individuals to join our team. Vidiots will provide the most welcoming and respectful atmosphere in L.A. for all patrons and staff, and Front of House Staff are key to delivering that experience. Our Front of House Staff will be working in all areas of Vidiots’ new home at the Eagle Theatre, including our 250-seat cinema, 35-seat flexible micro-cinema and community space, box office, and expansive lobby gathering space with separate concessions stand and beer-and-wine bar, all adjacent to Vidiots’ legendary video store.
At Vidiots, we’re looking for part time and full time House Managers who fit our team’s values:
- A fierce commitment to building an equitable, inclusive, anti-racist, anti-misogynist film culture and hub, open and accessible to all
- A passion for preserving, showcasing, and celebrating film and media that represents the widest array of artists and points of view, from all backgrounds
- Appreciation for and commitment to preserving L.A.’s unique cultural landscape
- A get-’er-done attitude (we’re a hardworking staff and there’s a lot to do!)
What you’ll do
Work closely with the Vidiots team to:
- Lead and manage operations staff to establish and maintain a safe welcoming, and comfortable environment for all Vidiots patrons
- Uphold and administer all venue and organization policies
- Train, develop, coach, supervise and schedule volunteers and non-management employees
- Ensure required alcohol certification and trainings are current where applicable
- Count, deposit, and reconcile all receipts taken in during each business day, including cash, credit cards, coupons, gift cards, discount tickets, and any other mode of payment or accountability deemed applicable
- Control costs, including all direct operating expenses
- Purchase and order food and beverages, concessions items, janitorial stock, and any/all other supplies needed to properly maintain daily operations and venue
- Supervise theater maintenance (building and grounds, where applicable), including performing minor repairs and securing qualified personnel for large maintenance concerns, including collecting and comparing bids and references
- Be able to perform other staff positions as required
- Monitor risk management as it pertains to venue, e.g. employee and patron safety, loss prevention, emergency situations, and proper handling, reporting, and investigating of accidents
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as needed by Vidiots’ Executive Director or other senior managers
What you’ll bring to the table
- Three (3) years customer service and leadership experience
- One (1) year food and beverage ordering and management experience
- Comfort with and ability to manage an IT infrastructure, ticketing systems and POS systems (e.g. Lightspeed and Filmbot)
- Detail oriented with excellent and effective scheduling and communication skills
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to prioritize effectively
- Positive, kind, calm attitude and great customer service
- Passion for film and knowledge of general theater operations
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays as needed
- TIPS certified in properly and safely serving alcohol on premises
Desired Characteristics and Qualities:
- Passionate about building community through social interaction around film and media
- Knowledge of film history, aesthetics, and contemporary film culture
- A willingness to wear multiple hats and work in a fun and fast paced brick-and-mortar environment
- Comfortable working and setting priorities independently
- Capacity to balance short-term needs with longer term vision
- Fluent Spanish and/or Tagalog and/or ASL speaker a plus
- CPR certified
- Full-time roles will vary from 30-40 hours per week; Part-time roles will vary from 12-29 hours per week
- Ideal candidates for this position will have weekend/evening/nighttime availability
- Work on-site in Eagle Rock, Los Angeles
- Paid vacation and holidays for full-time staff
- CalSavers retirement plan
- Vidiots does not currently offer health insurance to full-time staff, but is prioritizing this for Year Two of operations
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
This position works primarily in an indoor setting with exposure to noisy environments, dim lighting, and strong visual effects.
Employee will occasionally be required to stand, sit, and stoop. Employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Employee needs to be able to see in order to operate machinery and tools.
Employee will comply with company and OSHA standard workplace safety protocols. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of these positions.
Please fill out this form and we’ll be in touch! Please note, we are a small team, it may take some time for us to reach out!
Vidiots Foundation is a one-of-a-kind hub for film lovers, filmmakers, and everyone curious about cinema. Ever since our Founders Patty Polinger and Cathy Tauber opened Vidiots in 1985 as an alternative video store, our team has been dedicated to inspiring human interaction around film through preserving, growing, and providing access to a diverse DVD, BluRay, and rare VHS collection, showcasing the work of emerging, master, and underrepresented artists, and producing unique and affordable film events and vital education programs.
Vidiots became a 501(c)3 non-profit organization in 2012. In 2017, in the wake of rising Santa Monica costs and a changing film landscape, the Vidiots Board of Directors elected to shutter our iconic storefront, store the collection, and begin the search for a new home where Vidiots could sustainably expand on its mission and operations. Vidiots will re-open in 2023 in the heart of Northeast L.A. at the historic Eagle Theatre.