Vidiots Foundation is looking for a full-time Head Projectionist to join our team!
We’re a women-founded 501(c)3 non-profit for and by film lovers, filmmakers, and everyone curious about cinema. In 2023, thirty-eight years after first opening as an alternative video store in Santa Monica, Vidiots is relaunching at a new home, the historic Eagle Theatre in Northeast L.A. Vidiots’ new home, a nearly-11,000 square foot film exhibition, entertainment, and education space, will include a 250-seat state-of-the-art theater (35mm and DCP), Vidiots’ 50,000-title film and media library for rental, and a 35-seat flexible, state-of-the-art micro-cinema and community space for screenings and a variety of intimate community events and more.
Vidiots’ Head Projectionist will be an essential role on our team, and will oversee all technical aspects of Vidiots’ two (2) theaters, projection booth, lobby, and video store.
At Vidiots, we’re looking for a Head Projectionist who fits our team’s values:
- A fierce commitment to building an equitable, inclusive, anti-racist, anti-misogynist film culture and hub, open and accessible to all
- A passion for preserving, showcasing, and celebrating film and media that represents the widest array of artists and points of view from around the world
- Appreciation for and commitment to preserving L.A.’s unique cultural landscape
- A get-’er-done attitude (seriously, we’re a hardworking staff and there’s a lot to get done!)
What you’ll do
Work closely with the Vidiots team to:
Implement and coordinate all technical aspects of Vidiots programs and events (both public and private), collaborate with Vidiots’ Executive Director, House Managers, Programmers, and staff as on all technical needs. Responsibilities include:
- Oversee all technical aspects of the venue to provide audiences with a flawless cinematic experience
- Oversee and manage all DCP, 35mm, 16mm and BluRay/DVD projection systems, including trafficking, ingesting and caring for prints and various content
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on projectors, screens, and audio systems, including managing and scheduling contract maintenance services
- Manage print tracking and print intake/outflow
- Prepare and screen digital cinema playlists, film trailers, customized internal promotional presentation and custom slides
- Oversee tech for all other events, e.g. live performances, recorded conversations, virtual events etc.
- Collaborate with Operations and Programming teams on venue rental technical needs
- Train and supervise all hourly projectionists
What you’ll bring to the table
- Five (5) years of experience working as a film venue Technical Director and/or Projectionist
- Broad and deep familiarity with film projection systems, both Digital and 35mm
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work kindly and collaboratively with others
- Technical generalist skills
- Event production skills
- Strong trouble-shooting and problem solving skills
Desired Characteristics and Qualities:
- Passionate about building community through social interaction around film and media
- Knowledge of film history, aesthetics, and contemporary film culture
- Willingness to wear multiple hats and work in a fun and fast-paced brick-and-mortar environment
- Comfortable working and setting priorities independently
- Capacity to balance short-term needs with longer term vision
- Fluent Spanish speaker a plus
- Full time, 40 hours per week
- Ideal candidates for this position will have weekend/evening/night availability
- Work on-site in Eagle Rock, Los Angeles
- $65,000 annual salary, exempt
- Paid vacation and holidays
- CalSavers retirement plan
- Vidiots does not currently offer health insurance to full-time staff, but is prioritizing this for Year Two of operations
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
This position works primarily in an indoor setting with exposure to noisy environments, dim lighting, and strong visual effects.
Employee will occasionally be required to stand, sit, and stoop. Employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Employee must be able to see in order to operate machinery and tools.
Employee will comply with company and OSHA standard workplace safety protocols. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Please fill out this form and we’ll be in touch! Please note, we are a small team, it may take some time for us to reach out!
Vidiots Foundation is a one-of-a-kind hub for film lovers, filmmakers, and everyone curious about cinema. Since Vidiots opened in 1985 as an alternative video store in Santa Monica, our team has been dedicated to inspiring human interaction around film through preserving, growing, and providing access to a diverse DVD, BluRay, and rare VHS collection, showcasing the work of emerging, master, and underrepresented artists, and producing unique and affordable film events and vital education programs.
After becoming a 501(c)3 non-profit in 2012 and making a decision in 2017 to shutter our storefront and store our collection of 50,000 titles in 2017, Vidiots has been in search of its next home. In 2022, Vidiots will re-open in the heart of Northeast L.A. in Eagle Rock’s historic Eagle Theater. With nearly 11,000 square feet of entertainment, social, and educational space, Vidiots will operate seven-days-a-week and offer a full calendar of screenings and special programs, a video rental store, concessions, and a light menu with beer and wine. The main 250-seat theater will provide flexibility for a variety of events and tastemaker screenings, while a second, 35-seat, flexible event space will be ideal for screenings, workshops, community events, and receptions.